Skip to main content

Metro Stations, Marais, and the Musée d'Orsay

View from one of the clocks in Musée d'Orsay

Bonjour!

This weekend, I wound up going to BHV on three consecutive days. BHV is a gigantic department store with an extensive papeterie section and a bookstore. I learned about it from this article on the Damask Love blog, which is full of other recommendations that I need to check out. As always, I enjoyed spending an extensive amount of time looking at stationary and books.

View of the massive BHV Marais from the metro station

On Saturday, I spent an excessive amount of time trying to find Violette & Co., a queer and feminist bookstore that is supposed to be thirteen minutes away from my homestay. After the thirteen minute mark was long gone, I decided to take the metro to Marais, Paris' gay district and home to BHV, to visit Les Mots à la Bouche (Words in the Mouth). Les Mots à la Bouche is a gay bookstore that was, unsurprisingly, not very intersectional. Like, their website has categories for "Sélection gay" (2037 books), "Sélection lesbienne" (982 books), and "Sélection généraliste" ("general interest", 349 books). In addition to highlighting the fact that this store is missing representation for many people in the LGBTQ+ community, their website also demonstrates the fact that the majority of the books in the store are geared towards cisgender gay men.

After a somewhat unsatisfying morning, I got lunch and spontaneously decided to go to the Musée d'Orsay. In order to get there, I had to take a large train, which was a new and exciting experience. The museum itself was incomprehensible beautiful. Since my trip was entirely unplanned, I went by myself. Your results may vary, but I found that exploring the museum on my own allowed me to enjoy it more thoroughly. I will cede all efforts at describing this museum with words alone to these photographs I took and some brief explanatory captions.

I've never been to New York, so this model of the Statue of Liberty is as close as I've gotten to the real thing.

This beautiful crystal projection was tucked away in a display with many pottery items and paintings.
This impeccably designed room was empty, except for those of us taking pictures.

Van Gogh's famous Portrait of the Artist

The real icing on the cake of this weekend was the handout a very smiley man handed me as I left the metro station. It is for a film about Scientology! I have always thought that Scientology successfully found converts in the United States because of American culture's emerging secularity and worship of celebrity. But apparently it has spread to France? I am very tempted to check it out to satisfy my own curiosity, but I likely will not because Scientology is scary.


Best wishes,
Lydia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of the Hardest Days of My Life

Bonjour! Today has honestly been one of the hardest days of my life. My host mom encouraged me to leave my homestay quickly, which somehow led to me deciding to leave the house without using the restroom or filling my water bottle. I left the house at 8:15 AM, and made it to the métro after some small hiccups. On the métro, I accidentally went one stop too far, but it wasn't a big deal because the stops were really close together. I was running a little late for the day's 9:30 AM start time, but I wasn't too worried because it was only a ten minute walk. And then, I somehow got horrifically lost. I found myself wandering Paris, hopelessly trying to find my study abroad program's office and feeling absolutely horrid. I finally arrived at about 10:50 AM. I felt terrible, not only because of my miserable experience, but because the program staff and my host mom were worried about me. To be honest, I still feel as though I am a disorganized and monstrous being. A warm...

Blogging Every Day in August: A Directory of 30 Posts

Hello! I hope that you are all doing well! This month, I set out to write a blog post every day, and, if you are reading this blog post, I have succeeded in that goal. I imagine that future blog readers will not want to sort through 31 days worth of consecutive blog posts in order to figure out which content might be most interesting to them. So, hopefully, this post can act as a launchpad, and allow you to explore whichever blog posts from this month might capture your interests. Here is a roundup of this month's blog posts. I am including a short summary of each blog post, and who I think would enjoy each post. Tarot Reflections from the Yurts of MFC : I include snippets from my daily tarot draws while I was working as a counselor at Mountain Friends Camp. Ideal for people who like tarot, summer camp, or both. Desperately Trying to Hack My Sleep Schedule : I talk about the different methods that I have used to improve my sleep, how well they have worked, and whether I...

Grouchy Lydia Returns: A Tale of Tiredness

Image of a cartoon, faceless man resting his head on a stack of books at his desk. This image is from the Wikimedia Commons , and it is attributed to Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke [CC0]. Hello! I am very tired! My sleeping schedule has slowly deteriorated over two weeks. At first, I kept on sleeping through my 7:30-8 AM alarm, but I consistently woke up by 8:30 AM. Tired of not reaching my goals, I figured "Well, okay, I'll just move my wakeup time to 8-8:30 AM". I'm not sure where I strategized incorrectly here, but I found myself gradually waking up later and later. Since I was waking up later, I found myself struggling to go to sleep. How could I, when I had only been awake for very long and I had been doing nothing physically or emotionally strenuous all day? My problems came to a head when I woke up just before 11 AM on Thursday. "Ugh, fine, I've had enough of this. I'll just take Melatonin tonight!" I decided in a cloud of rage. ...