Skip to main content

Adventures in Tourism: Rome, Day II


Hello, friends!

On a small editorial note, I have finally returned from study abroad! I haven't been updating my blog recently due to final exams, the difficulty of packing up all of my belongings, my vacation to Prague and Munich, and my general inability to accurately estimate how long any given task will take. However, I'm hoping to blog more frequently now that I'm back home, and I am contemplating blogging daily until I have to leave for camp. Let's move on to the travel content!

As it turns out, Sunday is not the best day for traveling in Rome. Nearly everything is closed, and activity options are somewhat limited. 

Our morning plan was to visit the Pantheon, and we were happy to find that there was virtually no line in order to do so. Just a few minutes after we entered and started looking around, an announcement that I didn't fully understand played. We ignored it, and continued to wander around and take photographs. Soon, an employee came by and started angrily ushering us and the other tourists out of the Pantheon. As it turned out, mass is held in the Pantheon every Sunday morning, and we were in the way. I was satisfied with our brief visit, but being kicked out left us without any plans for the morning. 

Image of the Pantheon from our first day in Rome, featuring the long line to get in. The Pantheon is gigantic in person, and I feel like this photo captures some of its grandeur.

This image features the domed ceiling at the inside of the Pantheon, along with some of the elegant detailing on the Pantheon's walls.

This picture was one of my efforts to capture the immensity of the Pantheon, this time from the inside.

We decided to split up and explore different activities. I wandered absentmindedly near the Pantheon and picked up some souvenirs. One of the highlights of my exploration was the Elephant and Obelisk statue. As it turns out, this statue features the smallest obelisk in all of Rome! I appreciated having some time to walk around and explore Rome, without the pressure of rushing from one destination to the next. 

The Elephant and the Obelisk. Even though it was before noon, the weather was quite dark and stormy.

After meeting up for lunch, we went to McDonalds to grab some coffee. I was impressed by the fancy presentation of this McCafe drink. Although McDonalds locations in Europe have relatively standard food options at affordable prices, these small differences completely change the McDonalds experience.


We finished off our official activities for the day with a visit to the Mouth of Truth. Unfortunately, those photographs currently live on my friend's phone, so you will have to trust me when I say that it was a touristy and enjoyable end to our travel day.

Best wishes,
Lydia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of the Hardest Days of My Life

Bonjour! Today has honestly been one of the hardest days of my life. My host mom encouraged me to leave my homestay quickly, which somehow led to me deciding to leave the house without using the restroom or filling my water bottle. I left the house at 8:15 AM, and made it to the métro after some small hiccups. On the métro, I accidentally went one stop too far, but it wasn't a big deal because the stops were really close together. I was running a little late for the day's 9:30 AM start time, but I wasn't too worried because it was only a ten minute walk. And then, I somehow got horrifically lost. I found myself wandering Paris, hopelessly trying to find my study abroad program's office and feeling absolutely horrid. I finally arrived at about 10:50 AM. I felt terrible, not only because of my miserable experience, but because the program staff and my host mom were worried about me. To be honest, I still feel as though I am a disorganized and monstrous being. A warm...

Blogging Every Day in August: A Directory of 30 Posts

Hello! I hope that you are all doing well! This month, I set out to write a blog post every day, and, if you are reading this blog post, I have succeeded in that goal. I imagine that future blog readers will not want to sort through 31 days worth of consecutive blog posts in order to figure out which content might be most interesting to them. So, hopefully, this post can act as a launchpad, and allow you to explore whichever blog posts from this month might capture your interests. Here is a roundup of this month's blog posts. I am including a short summary of each blog post, and who I think would enjoy each post. Tarot Reflections from the Yurts of MFC : I include snippets from my daily tarot draws while I was working as a counselor at Mountain Friends Camp. Ideal for people who like tarot, summer camp, or both. Desperately Trying to Hack My Sleep Schedule : I talk about the different methods that I have used to improve my sleep, how well they have worked, and whether I...

Grouchy Lydia Returns: A Tale of Tiredness

Image of a cartoon, faceless man resting his head on a stack of books at his desk. This image is from the Wikimedia Commons , and it is attributed to Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke [CC0]. Hello! I am very tired! My sleeping schedule has slowly deteriorated over two weeks. At first, I kept on sleeping through my 7:30-8 AM alarm, but I consistently woke up by 8:30 AM. Tired of not reaching my goals, I figured "Well, okay, I'll just move my wakeup time to 8-8:30 AM". I'm not sure where I strategized incorrectly here, but I found myself gradually waking up later and later. Since I was waking up later, I found myself struggling to go to sleep. How could I, when I had only been awake for very long and I had been doing nothing physically or emotionally strenuous all day? My problems came to a head when I woke up just before 11 AM on Thursday. "Ugh, fine, I've had enough of this. I'll just take Melatonin tonight!" I decided in a cloud of rage. ...