Skip to main content

Friends, I'm Trying to Keep In Touch

Hello, friends!

I feel like the only thing worse than spending 85% of your life on social media is talking constantly about the fact that you are no longer spending 85% of your life on social media. However, I must explain that, since deciding to take a break from Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, I have realized that those platforms allowed me to have a sense of social connection without much actual social connection. It is easy to feel connected to someone when you see the mundane details of their existence on Instagram Stories, watch them have mental breakdowns on Twitter, and read the articles they share on Facebook. Without those sources of information on my friends' lives, I began to realize that I hadn't actually been talking to that many people. Despite interacting with friends on Twitter, responding to their Instagram stories, and participating in conversations in Soka's sketch comedy club's group chat, I wasn't spending much time cultivating my friendships with other people at all.

So, I have been trying to connect with other people more often. My current rule is that I have to email at least one new person once I have cleared out my inbox. This rule has presented me with an unexpected problem. Since it's been so long since I was actively reaching out to people, I struggle to remember who my friends are. I sit down and say "I need to email a friend," and then find myself wracking my brain to name a friend that I can email. Please enjoy this list of Thought Exercises for Remembering Who Your Friends Are:
  • Imagine that you are going to a rehearsal or club meeting. Who do you sit next to? Who are you excited to see there?
  • Remember a shift you worked. Who did you talk to? Who did you wish was there? Who do you miss seeing at work?
  • Visualize yourself walking into the cafeteria. Who do you sit next to? If possible, try to think of someone who you always have a good conversation with, and email that person.
  • Think about scrolling through your social media feed or watching someone's Instagram stories. Whose posts do you comment on? Which stories are you replying to? Who do you want to hear more from after reading their posts?
Another challenge of using email as a primary form of communication is that social emails rarely receive a response. I have two friends that I communicate with regularly via email, and then lots of people that never respond to the initial email I send them. This phenomenon makes complete sense! Email is a method of communication that is frequently associated with academic and professional scenarios. My friendly emails don't carry the same urgency as an important email from a professor or supervisor. Long-form communication isn't nearly as easy to respond to as a quick social media message. I try to keep my emails on the shorter end, but, since I haven't talked to many of these people for months, there is a lot to discuss. I don't want my emails to feel like an obligation that people must fulfill, so I'm trying to think of better, non-social media ways to contact my friends.

I hope that you are doing well, and that you and your loved ones are safe and healthy.

Best wishes,
Lydia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging Every Day in August: A Directory of 30 Posts

Hello! I hope that you are all doing well! This month, I set out to write a blog post every day, and, if you are reading this blog post, I have succeeded in that goal. I imagine that future blog readers will not want to sort through 31 days worth of consecutive blog posts in order to figure out which content might be most interesting to them. So, hopefully, this post can act as a launchpad, and allow you to explore whichever blog posts from this month might capture your interests. Here is a roundup of this month's blog posts. I am including a short summary of each blog post, and who I think would enjoy each post. Tarot Reflections from the Yurts of MFC : I include snippets from my daily tarot draws while I was working as a counselor at Mountain Friends Camp. Ideal for people who like tarot, summer camp, or both. Desperately Trying to Hack My Sleep Schedule : I talk about the different methods that I have used to improve my sleep, how well they have worked, and whether I...

Grouchy Lydia Returns: A Tale of Tiredness

Image of a cartoon, faceless man resting his head on a stack of books at his desk. This image is from the Wikimedia Commons , and it is attributed to Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke [CC0]. Hello! I am very tired! My sleeping schedule has slowly deteriorated over two weeks. At first, I kept on sleeping through my 7:30-8 AM alarm, but I consistently woke up by 8:30 AM. Tired of not reaching my goals, I figured "Well, okay, I'll just move my wakeup time to 8-8:30 AM". I'm not sure where I strategized incorrectly here, but I found myself gradually waking up later and later. Since I was waking up later, I found myself struggling to go to sleep. How could I, when I had only been awake for very long and I had been doing nothing physically or emotionally strenuous all day? My problems came to a head when I woke up just before 11 AM on Thursday. "Ugh, fine, I've had enough of this. I'll just take Melatonin tonight!" I decided in a cloud of rage. ...