Skip to main content

Moving Back into Soka

The view from my new dorm room's window. There are three tall, groomed cypress trees placed at intervals along the photo. In the background, there are tan residence halls with prominent windows. It is a bright, sunny day.

Hello!

I am writing this blog post from my very cluttered new dorm room. My plan for September is to blog at least 3 times/week, but any consistent post schedule I had planned has been foiled by the chaos of moving back into Soka. I think we'll try Wednesday/Friday/Sunday, and then regroup if that plan is unsuccessful.

This is a video of all of the boxes, clutter, and genuine chaos that made up my room yesterday afternoon. Since then, I have made some progress on cleaning/unpacking, but much of that progress has been a result of shoving most of my stuff in my shelving unit.

Despite the stress of returning to school/setting up my room again/unpacking all of my stuff, I am so glad to be back! On study abroad, I often found myself wishing that I had my old life back. When I returned, it was a little weird to be gone for the summer rather than going back to Soka and seeing all of my friends.

Going to a university where study abroad is required for all students is a bit strange. Here is a timeline of my Soka experience:

  • First year: Make a few friends. Feel a little displaced and uncomfortable.
  • Second year: Make many friends! Become more confident and secure in friendships.
  • Third year, first semester: Some of your friends have graduated, and others are on study abroad. Strengthen friendships with the people that remain. Try to restructure your social circles to fill the spaces your old friends have left.
  • Third year, second semester: Go on study abroad. Most of your friends are at Soka, without you. Spend time with people in your study abroad program, and try to keep in touch with old friends.
  • Fourth year, first 24 hours: Congratulations! You have returned to Soka! Your graduating class is all together! Also, remember those people that you bonded with last year to fill the abyss left by friends who are gone? A lot of them are on study abroad now. And, remember, you have only one year left before you have to start making friends all over again.
Anyway, it feels so good to be back to my old life. I was talking to one of my friends yesterday about how study abroad is such a transformative experience in many ways, and how strange it feels to return to the same life that I had pre-study-abroad. Like, I have gone from figuring out how to communicate in a different language and having access to the independence that public transportation provides to living in the young-person equivalent of a retirement home* and only having access to businesses within a 5-mile radius of the university.

Hopefully, my productivity and work ethic will conspire to make it possible for me to post again on Friday. Until then, I wish you all the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging Every Day in August: A Directory of 30 Posts

Hello! I hope that you are all doing well! This month, I set out to write a blog post every day, and, if you are reading this blog post, I have succeeded in that goal. I imagine that future blog readers will not want to sort through 31 days worth of consecutive blog posts in order to figure out which content might be most interesting to them. So, hopefully, this post can act as a launchpad, and allow you to explore whichever blog posts from this month might capture your interests. Here is a roundup of this month's blog posts. I am including a short summary of each blog post, and who I think would enjoy each post. Tarot Reflections from the Yurts of MFC : I include snippets from my daily tarot draws while I was working as a counselor at Mountain Friends Camp. Ideal for people who like tarot, summer camp, or both. Desperately Trying to Hack My Sleep Schedule : I talk about the different methods that I have used to improve my sleep, how well they have worked, and whether I...

Grouchy Lydia Returns: A Tale of Tiredness

Image of a cartoon, faceless man resting his head on a stack of books at his desk. This image is from the Wikimedia Commons , and it is attributed to Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke [CC0]. Hello! I am very tired! My sleeping schedule has slowly deteriorated over two weeks. At first, I kept on sleeping through my 7:30-8 AM alarm, but I consistently woke up by 8:30 AM. Tired of not reaching my goals, I figured "Well, okay, I'll just move my wakeup time to 8-8:30 AM". I'm not sure where I strategized incorrectly here, but I found myself gradually waking up later and later. Since I was waking up later, I found myself struggling to go to sleep. How could I, when I had only been awake for very long and I had been doing nothing physically or emotionally strenuous all day? My problems came to a head when I woke up just before 11 AM on Thursday. "Ugh, fine, I've had enough of this. I'll just take Melatonin tonight!" I decided in a cloud of rage. ...

A Brief Reflection on the Practice of Blogging Daily

Image of a canyon in White Rock, New Mexico. There is a ridge in the horizon of the picture, with orange-brown rock. The canyon is dry and dirt-covered, with small bushes and trees dotted near the bottom. A green pine tree sits in the bottom left corner of the frame. Hello! I seem to be in a season of my life where I am eager to start a project, but struggle to follow through. *stares at sentimental items on my desk that been sitting there for days, waiting for me to sort through them*  By blogging every day this month, I am trying to create some consistency, and to keep Slanted Rays from becoming just another abandoned project. This habit has become surprisingly well-ingrained, even with yesterday's post being written in my parents' car on the way to Sonic at 10 PM. At the same time, maintaining a daily post schedule is a bit exhausting. It's weird to sometimes create meaningful content that I really enjoy, while also occasionally churning out words just so that I...