Skip to main content

Riverdale is a Trainwreck And I'll Never Stop Watching

Hello!

I just watched the most recent episode of Riverdale (Season 3, Episode 11), and I'm writing this blog post in the hopes that I will be able to stop thinking about Riverdale and get to work.

Riverdale is one of those shows that I think is objectively pretty bad, but that I just can't stop watching. In a thoughtful, well-written show like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or The Good Place, the writers and showrunners seem to have a clear idea of where the show is headed. With Riverdale, I feel like the writers had a clear idea of what they wanted to do with Season 1, and they have been flying by the seat of their pants ever since. Also, like, the characters are not well-developed. I have seen every possible combination of the main characters being shipped together, which is probably because none of the characters are given enough meaningful character details for us to feel deeply invested in their existing relationships through the source material alone.

*** Riverdale Spoilers Ahead ***

In case you can't tell, I have spent a lot of time thinking about what on earth is wrong with this show, which brings us to tonight's episode of Riverdale. In this episode, Betty's mom donates all of Betty's money (including her college fund) to the farm, a cult that Betty's mom and sister have both joined. I was honestly so stoked when it seemed like the show was going to explore this cult further in Season 3. There seemed to be a Goblins and Gargoyles connection, and it had all of the ingredients for a really exciting subplot. And then, as the season progresses, Betty isn't interested in learning more about the farm, so the farm only comes up as a rationale for why Betty's mom is being terrible. And, to my utter frustration, this subplot ultimately leads to Betty confiding in her dad because he is "the only one who understands" how Alice Cooper can be. Which, sure, fine, maybe he is the only one who understands, but he's also the terrifying serial killer who plagued Riverdale in Season 2. It's incredibly difficult to empathize with any of these characters when even Betty comes around to commiserating with a literal murderer.

This episode is also when we finally find out who the Gargoyle King is, which is utterly underwhelming. Like, it's a twist, sure, but I wasn't really invested in Tall Boy even before we thought he died in Season 2, so I mostly felt confused rather than surprised. Our other surprise is the end of Archie and Veronica's relationship. I feel like they'll probably have them reconcile within the next couple episodes, but, regardless, their relationship was so void of chemistry that I'm not upset that it's over.

I am curious about the direction that the show will go now that they have firmly stated that Archie and the gang are all juniors. I had thought that maybe the writers would leave them in timeless limbo so that the show could continue forever. (Side note: If Archie is a junior in Season 3, that means that he was about to be a freshman during the summer before the first season, which makes his tryst with Ms. Grundy all the more inexplicable and inappropriate.)

Anyway, I will keep on watching this trainwreck of a show no matter how much it upsets me. This blog is purely for my own amusement, but, if I have decided to unleash it upon the world when you read this, guess which Riverdale cast member I find irrationally aesthetically pleasing in the comments below.

Best wishes,
Lydia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging Every Day in August: A Directory of 30 Posts

Hello! I hope that you are all doing well! This month, I set out to write a blog post every day, and, if you are reading this blog post, I have succeeded in that goal. I imagine that future blog readers will not want to sort through 31 days worth of consecutive blog posts in order to figure out which content might be most interesting to them. So, hopefully, this post can act as a launchpad, and allow you to explore whichever blog posts from this month might capture your interests. Here is a roundup of this month's blog posts. I am including a short summary of each blog post, and who I think would enjoy each post. Tarot Reflections from the Yurts of MFC : I include snippets from my daily tarot draws while I was working as a counselor at Mountain Friends Camp. Ideal for people who like tarot, summer camp, or both. Desperately Trying to Hack My Sleep Schedule : I talk about the different methods that I have used to improve my sleep, how well they have worked, and whether I...

Grouchy Lydia Returns: A Tale of Tiredness

Image of a cartoon, faceless man resting his head on a stack of books at his desk. This image is from the Wikimedia Commons , and it is attributed to Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke [CC0]. Hello! I am very tired! My sleeping schedule has slowly deteriorated over two weeks. At first, I kept on sleeping through my 7:30-8 AM alarm, but I consistently woke up by 8:30 AM. Tired of not reaching my goals, I figured "Well, okay, I'll just move my wakeup time to 8-8:30 AM". I'm not sure where I strategized incorrectly here, but I found myself gradually waking up later and later. Since I was waking up later, I found myself struggling to go to sleep. How could I, when I had only been awake for very long and I had been doing nothing physically or emotionally strenuous all day? My problems came to a head when I woke up just before 11 AM on Thursday. "Ugh, fine, I've had enough of this. I'll just take Melatonin tonight!" I decided in a cloud of rage. ...

A Brief Reflection on the Practice of Blogging Daily

Image of a canyon in White Rock, New Mexico. There is a ridge in the horizon of the picture, with orange-brown rock. The canyon is dry and dirt-covered, with small bushes and trees dotted near the bottom. A green pine tree sits in the bottom left corner of the frame. Hello! I seem to be in a season of my life where I am eager to start a project, but struggle to follow through. *stares at sentimental items on my desk that been sitting there for days, waiting for me to sort through them*  By blogging every day this month, I am trying to create some consistency, and to keep Slanted Rays from becoming just another abandoned project. This habit has become surprisingly well-ingrained, even with yesterday's post being written in my parents' car on the way to Sonic at 10 PM. At the same time, maintaining a daily post schedule is a bit exhausting. It's weird to sometimes create meaningful content that I really enjoy, while also occasionally churning out words just so that I...