Skip to main content

One of the Hardest Days of My Life

Bonjour!

Today has honestly been one of the hardest days of my life. My host mom encouraged me to leave my homestay quickly, which somehow led to me deciding to leave the house without using the restroom or filling my water bottle. I left the house at 8:15 AM, and made it to the métro after some small hiccups. On the métro, I accidentally went one stop too far, but it wasn't a big deal because the stops were really close together. I was running a little late for the day's 9:30 AM start time, but I wasn't too worried because it was only a ten minute walk. And then, I somehow got horrifically lost. I found myself wandering Paris, hopelessly trying to find my study abroad program's office and feeling absolutely horrid. I finally arrived at about 10:50 AM. I felt terrible, not only because of my miserable experience, but because the program staff and my host mom were worried about me. To be honest, I still feel as though I am a disorganized and monstrous being.

A warm meal after a dreadful morning
Despite my awful morning, the rest of my day was pretty nice. We went on a walking tour of Paris' Latin Quarter, where I got to see Notre Dame, La Sorbonne, and Shakespeare & Co. (among many other things).

Saint Michael, the archangel
Palais du Luxembourg
Notre Dame
Thus far, Parisians seem to be living up to the stereotype of being stylish, looking horribly depressed, and walking without regard for other human beings. One thing that I find absolutely charming is watching people stand in the métro car while reading a physical book with both hands. A passenger across from me had a small pocket-sized paperback that she was leafing through. Bookstores are everywhere here, and I need to go to a French-language bookstore and see if there is anything simple enough for me to read.

It's been a long, difficult day, and I am eager to get some sleep. As we speak, I am downloading an offline navigation app so that I won't get lost tomorrow. I am looking forward to what will hopefully be easier days to come.

Au revoir,
Lydia

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thankfully, things have gotten much better since I wrote this blog post.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging Every Day in August: A Directory of 30 Posts

Hello! I hope that you are all doing well! This month, I set out to write a blog post every day, and, if you are reading this blog post, I have succeeded in that goal. I imagine that future blog readers will not want to sort through 31 days worth of consecutive blog posts in order to figure out which content might be most interesting to them. So, hopefully, this post can act as a launchpad, and allow you to explore whichever blog posts from this month might capture your interests. Here is a roundup of this month's blog posts. I am including a short summary of each blog post, and who I think would enjoy each post. Tarot Reflections from the Yurts of MFC : I include snippets from my daily tarot draws while I was working as a counselor at Mountain Friends Camp. Ideal for people who like tarot, summer camp, or both. Desperately Trying to Hack My Sleep Schedule : I talk about the different methods that I have used to improve my sleep, how well they have worked, and whether I...

Grouchy Lydia Returns: A Tale of Tiredness

Image of a cartoon, faceless man resting his head on a stack of books at his desk. This image is from the Wikimedia Commons , and it is attributed to Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke [CC0]. Hello! I am very tired! My sleeping schedule has slowly deteriorated over two weeks. At first, I kept on sleeping through my 7:30-8 AM alarm, but I consistently woke up by 8:30 AM. Tired of not reaching my goals, I figured "Well, okay, I'll just move my wakeup time to 8-8:30 AM". I'm not sure where I strategized incorrectly here, but I found myself gradually waking up later and later. Since I was waking up later, I found myself struggling to go to sleep. How could I, when I had only been awake for very long and I had been doing nothing physically or emotionally strenuous all day? My problems came to a head when I woke up just before 11 AM on Thursday. "Ugh, fine, I've had enough of this. I'll just take Melatonin tonight!" I decided in a cloud of rage. ...