Skip to main content

Sniffling in the City

A beautiful view from the balcony of Bibliothèque François Mitterand
Hello!

I am writing this from the depths of a terrible cold. I guess that it isn't entirely surprising that I'm sick; I can hear people sniffling and sneezing throughout the metro, and this is my first extended stay in a cold climate. But, it is definitely frustrating that I set some semi-adventurous goals on Sunday and then was sick by Tuesday. My host mom took me to the pharmacy, recounted my symptoms to the pharmacist in detail, and had me buy a substantial amount of cold medicine. She was very insistent that "You take medicine, and, if the medicine doesn't help, you go to the doctor". I guess that this is what life is like in a country with an affordable health care system? Since I don't have any pre-existing conditions that could be affected by a cold, I would never go to the doctor for a cold. I've only barely come around to taking medication for colds, and even that is as a supplement to my inherited method of Powering Through It and Letting Your Body Do Its Job.

The Saint Michel metro station sign, a relic of France's art deco period

On Wednesday, I was running late for school when I had two of the most harrowing Only in a Parisian Metro experiences. Firstly, as I was rushing to my metro platform, I saw a badly injured man sitting against the wall with a few people helping him to hold towels to his head and managing the situation. I couldn't figure out how he had gotten injured, but his head was clearly bleeding quite badly. There were a couple people standing uselessly and watching the situation unfold with mouths agape. I decided that the first responders didn't need a twenty-year old with no medical training or experience crowding them while they helped this man, so I (very guiltily) walked on by. Then, just as I was about to take the escalator down to catch my metro, I saw a man running around helplessly while wearing a blanket and not much else. He clearly needed financial resources and additional support that I was ill-equipped to provide, so, once again, I guiltily rushed past.

An aesthetic look at my daily walk to the metro station

As you can probably tell, guilt is a big part of my existence both here and in the United States. I always feel guilty avoiding people in need, especially after deciding to start giving money to beggars and then continuing to ignore them. The thought of walking up to someone and handing them money makes me incredibly anxious. Since I don't have the ability (financially or practically) to give money to give money to every beggar I see, I find myself worrying about my own inadequate abilities to determine who is deserving of financial aid.

Site of my regular trips to look longingly at stationary

I feel like this post and the post before it have such a negative bent, but I assure you that I enjoy my life in Paris most of the time. I have visited the library a couple times, and returned occasionally to browse the papeterie section of Gibert Jeune. (On one memorable Gibert Jeune trip, I spent at least 30 minutes browsing and left with a single highlighter.) I have started simplifying my bullet journalling style, which (as with any minor bullet journal change) has inspired a sort of ~bullet journal renaissance~. I found a British grocery store called Marks and Spencer today, which had many American-style food options. (Do I normally buy lime salsa flavored tortilla chips? No. Did I act as though they were the most flavorful food in the universe? Of course.) Even though I am sick, this week hasn't been entirely wretched. I want to be honest about this experience as it unfolds, even if I have to recount some bad days.
Please enjoy today's self-care based daily log.
Au revoir,
Lydia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of the Hardest Days of My Life

Bonjour! Today has honestly been one of the hardest days of my life. My host mom encouraged me to leave my homestay quickly, which somehow led to me deciding to leave the house without using the restroom or filling my water bottle. I left the house at 8:15 AM, and made it to the métro after some small hiccups. On the métro, I accidentally went one stop too far, but it wasn't a big deal because the stops were really close together. I was running a little late for the day's 9:30 AM start time, but I wasn't too worried because it was only a ten minute walk. And then, I somehow got horrifically lost. I found myself wandering Paris, hopelessly trying to find my study abroad program's office and feeling absolutely horrid. I finally arrived at about 10:50 AM. I felt terrible, not only because of my miserable experience, but because the program staff and my host mom were worried about me. To be honest, I still feel as though I am a disorganized and monstrous being. A warm...

Blogging Every Day in August: A Directory of 30 Posts

Hello! I hope that you are all doing well! This month, I set out to write a blog post every day, and, if you are reading this blog post, I have succeeded in that goal. I imagine that future blog readers will not want to sort through 31 days worth of consecutive blog posts in order to figure out which content might be most interesting to them. So, hopefully, this post can act as a launchpad, and allow you to explore whichever blog posts from this month might capture your interests. Here is a roundup of this month's blog posts. I am including a short summary of each blog post, and who I think would enjoy each post. Tarot Reflections from the Yurts of MFC : I include snippets from my daily tarot draws while I was working as a counselor at Mountain Friends Camp. Ideal for people who like tarot, summer camp, or both. Desperately Trying to Hack My Sleep Schedule : I talk about the different methods that I have used to improve my sleep, how well they have worked, and whether I...

Grouchy Lydia Returns: A Tale of Tiredness

Image of a cartoon, faceless man resting his head on a stack of books at his desk. This image is from the Wikimedia Commons , and it is attributed to Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke [CC0]. Hello! I am very tired! My sleeping schedule has slowly deteriorated over two weeks. At first, I kept on sleeping through my 7:30-8 AM alarm, but I consistently woke up by 8:30 AM. Tired of not reaching my goals, I figured "Well, okay, I'll just move my wakeup time to 8-8:30 AM". I'm not sure where I strategized incorrectly here, but I found myself gradually waking up later and later. Since I was waking up later, I found myself struggling to go to sleep. How could I, when I had only been awake for very long and I had been doing nothing physically or emotionally strenuous all day? My problems came to a head when I woke up just before 11 AM on Thursday. "Ugh, fine, I've had enough of this. I'll just take Melatonin tonight!" I decided in a cloud of rage. ...