Skip to main content

Street Art, Speakeasies, and Stationary

#25 in street artist Jae Ray Mie's Expressions Idiomatiques series
Bonjour!

After a week filled with new people and experiences, I decided to try for a more restful day yesterday. I spent the morning lounging around the house, and enjoyed cold pizza (the true taste of America) for lunch. On Friday, I found some really cool street art while I was walking to the pizza place, so I decided to go back and photograph it. I love the creativity and intricacy of street art; it always feels as though I have made a discover in a way that no art museum can replicate.

Aladdin and Jasmine take the streets of Paris! (by street artist Toctoc)

This one has strong Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children vibes.

My personal favorite piece of street art

In an effort to avoid wasting away at home, I decided to go to the papeterie section of Gibert Jeune to buy some pens, because the pens that I brought from home are on the verge of death. As stressful as my study abroad experience has been so far, Paris is an amazing place for a person who loves books and pens.  There were so many pens that I had never seen before! I wound up buying a ballpoint pen that takes fountain pen cartridges and a Pilot G1. The ballpoint pen isn't writing as well as I would like, but I'm pretty sure that that is a result of the cheap ink cartridge that came with it. When this cartridge runs out, I might buy a different brand of cartridges and see how they fare. The Pilot G1 was an exciting discovery, because I have spent my life surrounded by Pilot G2s without seeing a single Pilot G1. Thus far, I am a fan; it writes smoothly, and looks super classy.

Ballpoint pen and Pilot G1

While I was checking out, I heard people chanting. I looked outside and saw a larger mass of people near my metro station, with some wearing yellow jackets! It was a bit scary at first, but I was able to take a slightly more roundabout path to the metro station and make it home safely. Thus far, I definitely think that the United States media coverage of the Yellow Jacket protests really overemphasizes the most extreme actions of the group. Still, I'm definitely going to avoid being in a similar situation in the future.

For dinner, I went to a Japanese restaurant called Aki with friends from my home university. I had their tsukimi soba, which was very delicious. Afterwards, we went to a speakeasy called the Lavomatic, which looks like a laundromat from the outside. Our friendly conversation about people back home was precisely what I needed after an exhausting week.

Figuring out how to get inside

Au revoir,
Lydia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of the Hardest Days of My Life

Bonjour! Today has honestly been one of the hardest days of my life. My host mom encouraged me to leave my homestay quickly, which somehow led to me deciding to leave the house without using the restroom or filling my water bottle. I left the house at 8:15 AM, and made it to the métro after some small hiccups. On the métro, I accidentally went one stop too far, but it wasn't a big deal because the stops were really close together. I was running a little late for the day's 9:30 AM start time, but I wasn't too worried because it was only a ten minute walk. And then, I somehow got horrifically lost. I found myself wandering Paris, hopelessly trying to find my study abroad program's office and feeling absolutely horrid. I finally arrived at about 10:50 AM. I felt terrible, not only because of my miserable experience, but because the program staff and my host mom were worried about me. To be honest, I still feel as though I am a disorganized and monstrous being. A warm...

Blogging Every Day in August: A Directory of 30 Posts

Hello! I hope that you are all doing well! This month, I set out to write a blog post every day, and, if you are reading this blog post, I have succeeded in that goal. I imagine that future blog readers will not want to sort through 31 days worth of consecutive blog posts in order to figure out which content might be most interesting to them. So, hopefully, this post can act as a launchpad, and allow you to explore whichever blog posts from this month might capture your interests. Here is a roundup of this month's blog posts. I am including a short summary of each blog post, and who I think would enjoy each post. Tarot Reflections from the Yurts of MFC : I include snippets from my daily tarot draws while I was working as a counselor at Mountain Friends Camp. Ideal for people who like tarot, summer camp, or both. Desperately Trying to Hack My Sleep Schedule : I talk about the different methods that I have used to improve my sleep, how well they have worked, and whether I...

Grouchy Lydia Returns: A Tale of Tiredness

Image of a cartoon, faceless man resting his head on a stack of books at his desk. This image is from the Wikimedia Commons , and it is attributed to Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke [CC0]. Hello! I am very tired! My sleeping schedule has slowly deteriorated over two weeks. At first, I kept on sleeping through my 7:30-8 AM alarm, but I consistently woke up by 8:30 AM. Tired of not reaching my goals, I figured "Well, okay, I'll just move my wakeup time to 8-8:30 AM". I'm not sure where I strategized incorrectly here, but I found myself gradually waking up later and later. Since I was waking up later, I found myself struggling to go to sleep. How could I, when I had only been awake for very long and I had been doing nothing physically or emotionally strenuous all day? My problems came to a head when I woke up just before 11 AM on Thursday. "Ugh, fine, I've had enough of this. I'll just take Melatonin tonight!" I decided in a cloud of rage. ...