Skip to main content

Crawling Out of the Slump (ft. The Accomplishments List)

An image of my two bullet journal pages from Friday through most of today. My bullet journal is a repurposed gardening journal from around the 1970s, and the pages are a dark cream color. The pre-printed headers read "Things to do in July" and "Things to do in August", and I have decorated them with carousel horse stickers. For Friday and today, I have a long list of accomplishments, marked by smiley faces. My ticket to Friday's basketball game and my wristband from Sunsplash are taped into the notebook.

Hello!

I am still crawling slowly out of the slump. In doing so, I have defaulted to using The Accomplishments List. The Accomplishments List is my term for the lists I make of things I have done, using a smiley face in place of my usual bullet points. Usually, these lists include what are essentially signs of life beyond social media scrolling and YouTube. So, I will include items like "watched an episode of Queer Eye" and "took a shower" in addition to more predictable tasks.

The Accomplishments List is not my typical mode of planning by any means. Instead, it is what I use when every other system seems to have gone awry. When I am making long to-do lists and not completing any of the items on them, I know that it's time to list accomplishments instead. Usually, The Accomplishments List gives me the motivation to get just a little bit more work done than I would've otherwise. 

With that being said, I think it's time for me to shift to my more proactive productivity methods. Tomorrow, I'm going to try tracking my media consumption alongside my to-do list, which worked well for me in June. I hope to see you then!

Best wishes,
Lydia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of the Hardest Days of My Life

Bonjour! Today has honestly been one of the hardest days of my life. My host mom encouraged me to leave my homestay quickly, which somehow led to me deciding to leave the house without using the restroom or filling my water bottle. I left the house at 8:15 AM, and made it to the métro after some small hiccups. On the métro, I accidentally went one stop too far, but it wasn't a big deal because the stops were really close together. I was running a little late for the day's 9:30 AM start time, but I wasn't too worried because it was only a ten minute walk. And then, I somehow got horrifically lost. I found myself wandering Paris, hopelessly trying to find my study abroad program's office and feeling absolutely horrid. I finally arrived at about 10:50 AM. I felt terrible, not only because of my miserable experience, but because the program staff and my host mom were worried about me. To be honest, I still feel as though I am a disorganized and monstrous being. A warm...

Blogging Every Day in August: A Directory of 30 Posts

Hello! I hope that you are all doing well! This month, I set out to write a blog post every day, and, if you are reading this blog post, I have succeeded in that goal. I imagine that future blog readers will not want to sort through 31 days worth of consecutive blog posts in order to figure out which content might be most interesting to them. So, hopefully, this post can act as a launchpad, and allow you to explore whichever blog posts from this month might capture your interests. Here is a roundup of this month's blog posts. I am including a short summary of each blog post, and who I think would enjoy each post. Tarot Reflections from the Yurts of MFC : I include snippets from my daily tarot draws while I was working as a counselor at Mountain Friends Camp. Ideal for people who like tarot, summer camp, or both. Desperately Trying to Hack My Sleep Schedule : I talk about the different methods that I have used to improve my sleep, how well they have worked, and whether I...

Grouchy Lydia Returns: A Tale of Tiredness

Image of a cartoon, faceless man resting his head on a stack of books at his desk. This image is from the Wikimedia Commons , and it is attributed to Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke [CC0]. Hello! I am very tired! My sleeping schedule has slowly deteriorated over two weeks. At first, I kept on sleeping through my 7:30-8 AM alarm, but I consistently woke up by 8:30 AM. Tired of not reaching my goals, I figured "Well, okay, I'll just move my wakeup time to 8-8:30 AM". I'm not sure where I strategized incorrectly here, but I found myself gradually waking up later and later. Since I was waking up later, I found myself struggling to go to sleep. How could I, when I had only been awake for very long and I had been doing nothing physically or emotionally strenuous all day? My problems came to a head when I woke up just before 11 AM on Thursday. "Ugh, fine, I've had enough of this. I'll just take Melatonin tonight!" I decided in a cloud of rage. ...