Skip to main content

Media Round-Up: August 21, 2019

Image of a painted sign reading "Changing Hands" with a large golden "45" banner below it. Books are painted around the sign, both lined up and falling towards the ground. On each side of the sign, there are physical bookshelves lined with books.

Hello!

It has been awhile since my last media round-up, so I am writing up another one to share what media things I have been consuming and enjoying.

TV Shows
I just finished watching the fourth season of Queer Eye. Queer Eye falls pretty firmly into the "probably problematic media that I enjoy" category, and I'm often frustrated by how the heroes' problems are predominantly solved by money. Still, I am captivated by the show. I like seeing all of the minute changes that make a big difference in people's lives (well, mostly in the way they look), and wondering how my own life could improve.

Podcasts
I've been keeping up with many podcasts recently. Jolenta Greenberg and Kristen Meinzer of By the Book (one of my perennial podcast favorites) recently started a new show called We Love You (And So Can You). They use techniques they learned from living by self help books to help others with a specific problem. Thus far, only one episode and follow-up have been released, but I am enjoying the show so far and am excited to listen to more.

I have listened to The NPR Politics Podcast since 2017, but I have recently been tuning in more frequently. I love their "On the Trail" interview series with 2020 Democratic presidential candidates, and their conversational and informative news updates.

Books
As daily blog readers will know, I have been reading Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. It has been a good but time-consuming read. I do wonder how I evolved from wanting to listen to a cool musical to deciding to read a 732 page biography of a long-deceased political figure. When I need a break from small print and history, I read Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans. As I mentioned in this blog post, I might need to form a life design group (as discussed in the book) and work carefully through a physical copy in order to get the maximum value possible out of this book.


What content have you been consuming? I cannot believe that I have written fifty blog posts for this little blog! I hope that you are doing well, and that

Best wishes,
Lydia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of the Hardest Days of My Life

Bonjour! Today has honestly been one of the hardest days of my life. My host mom encouraged me to leave my homestay quickly, which somehow led to me deciding to leave the house without using the restroom or filling my water bottle. I left the house at 8:15 AM, and made it to the métro after some small hiccups. On the métro, I accidentally went one stop too far, but it wasn't a big deal because the stops were really close together. I was running a little late for the day's 9:30 AM start time, but I wasn't too worried because it was only a ten minute walk. And then, I somehow got horrifically lost. I found myself wandering Paris, hopelessly trying to find my study abroad program's office and feeling absolutely horrid. I finally arrived at about 10:50 AM. I felt terrible, not only because of my miserable experience, but because the program staff and my host mom were worried about me. To be honest, I still feel as though I am a disorganized and monstrous being. A warm...

Blogging Every Day in August: A Directory of 30 Posts

Hello! I hope that you are all doing well! This month, I set out to write a blog post every day, and, if you are reading this blog post, I have succeeded in that goal. I imagine that future blog readers will not want to sort through 31 days worth of consecutive blog posts in order to figure out which content might be most interesting to them. So, hopefully, this post can act as a launchpad, and allow you to explore whichever blog posts from this month might capture your interests. Here is a roundup of this month's blog posts. I am including a short summary of each blog post, and who I think would enjoy each post. Tarot Reflections from the Yurts of MFC : I include snippets from my daily tarot draws while I was working as a counselor at Mountain Friends Camp. Ideal for people who like tarot, summer camp, or both. Desperately Trying to Hack My Sleep Schedule : I talk about the different methods that I have used to improve my sleep, how well they have worked, and whether I...

Grouchy Lydia Returns: A Tale of Tiredness

Image of a cartoon, faceless man resting his head on a stack of books at his desk. This image is from the Wikimedia Commons , and it is attributed to Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke [CC0]. Hello! I am very tired! My sleeping schedule has slowly deteriorated over two weeks. At first, I kept on sleeping through my 7:30-8 AM alarm, but I consistently woke up by 8:30 AM. Tired of not reaching my goals, I figured "Well, okay, I'll just move my wakeup time to 8-8:30 AM". I'm not sure where I strategized incorrectly here, but I found myself gradually waking up later and later. Since I was waking up later, I found myself struggling to go to sleep. How could I, when I had only been awake for very long and I had been doing nothing physically or emotionally strenuous all day? My problems came to a head when I woke up just before 11 AM on Thursday. "Ugh, fine, I've had enough of this. I'll just take Melatonin tonight!" I decided in a cloud of rage. ...